2021 marks 900 years since the foundation of Reading Abbey, once one of Europe’s largest royal monasteries, by King Henry I.
To mark the anniversary, Reading Borough Council is inviting funding applications for a share of a £10k pot, of between £3K and £5K, from any Reading based individuals, artists or arts organisations to create digital artistic content in response to and in celebration of the Abbey from 1121 to present day.
This project is open to all artforms and can range from dance, visual arts, theatre, music and storytelling, to sculpture, fashion, poetry, film, photography, crafts or digital media.
Applications from young people between 11 and 18, and from projects that reflect the diversity of Reading are particularly welcome.
The resulting digital art will be hosted on the virtual venue, Reading Culture Live and will contribute to the build up towards the flagship celebratory event marking the 900 anniversary, Water Fest, on Saturday 19 June.
The deadline for applications is Friday 26th March 2021.
Decisions will made by a community panel, with successful artists notified during the week commencing 19th April.
Successful applicants will be chosen by the community who are from our priority areas but also those who live or work within the Abbey Quarter.
Each application will be marked against the following criteria:
• Quality: The proposal is clear and celebrates the 900th Anniversary of the Abbey Ruins
• Audience Reach and Engagement: a clear understanding of who it is you are reaching
• Diversity and Equality: Diversity in terms of individuals delivering the project and the target audience
• Priority Areas: Does the application meet any of our priority areas
We would also like you to consider how you might do the following in your application:
• Create interest about the site
• Celebrate the heritage of the site, specifically the 900th anniversary
• Celebrate the sustainability, beauty and accessibility of the site
There are a number of resources online here or if you need to fact check you can get in contact with us via the details below.
Click here for the funding application. If this form is not accessible for you please get in contact via the email below.
If you would like help or if you have any questions about any of the above please get in contact by emailing Zsuzsi.Lindsay@reading.gov.uk.